Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A picture is worth a thousand words

A picture is nothing more than a moment frozen in time. Something that people will look at or the rest of time and wonder about. This is a picture of the space shuttle Atlantis re-entering the earths atmosphere. It has quickly become one of my favourite pictures. It almost looks unreal to me in a sense. It is just a streak shooting across the picture with the earth underneath and the vast universe above. Just think for a minute about everything that is frozen in this frame. A tiny ship firing its boosters to make its final journey home. I wonder what those astronauts are thinking at this exact moment. Are they caught up in the task at hand or are they thinking about the history they are making. Is there fear running through their heads or anticipation to get home to their loved ones. Then you look down to the earth below and wonder what the billions of people below are doing. Are they even aware of what is going on above their heads. How many of them are looking up as they look down. Now I wonder what I was doing. Was I tucked safely in my bed or was I out enjoying the summer. All these questions that I will never get answers to but make this picture that more intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment